One of the problems related to indoor carpets is that they are the ideal habitat for mites, molds and dust. Many carpet cleaners contain the harmful dry cleaning agents – perchloroethylene (perc) or naphthalene. Beyond the cancer-causing risks of both naphthalene and perc, many people report nausea, dizziness or irritation from the fumes. Therefore, forget about these and similar toxic chemicals for carpet cleaning, and turn towards the green cleaning mode using eco-friendly carpet cleaning products.
Homemade eco-friendly carpet cleaning products
Green carpet cleaners don’t have toxic chemicals like conventional cleaners, so you won’t feel like you are treading on chemicals instead of carpet. There are many eco-friendly carpet cleaning products available to buy, but you can also make your own carpet cleaners using the formulas listed below. These homemade cleaners combine several green products such as baking soda, washing soda, white vinegar, cornstarch, borax, and so on.
- Mix equal parts water and white vinegar in a spray bottle.
- For grease spots, sprinkle cornstarch onto spots and wait 15 – 20 minutes before vacuuming.
- For a heavy carpet cleaner, mix 1/3 cup each of borax, salt and vinegar.
- Mix 1/4 cup baking soda and 1/2 cup vinegar into 2 liters of water.
They are inexpensive, easy-to-use, easy to make, and can safely be used instead of commercial carpet cleaning products.
Commercial eco-friendly carpet cleaning products
In addition to do-it-yourself carpet cleaners, why not try ready-made, eco-friendly products? In the marketplace, we are seeing the emergence of new carpet cleaning products which are non-toxic and safe to use. They will leave you with soft, clean, fresh-smelling carpets that will make any stain or spot seem like a distant memory. So, let’s see some of the most common eco-friendly carpet cleaning products:
- Arm & Hammer Baking Soda – Old-time green cleaning product, but very effective. You can use it to clean or deodorize your carpet. Simply shake it before use, let it sit for a short time, and vacuum it away!
- Begley’s Stain & Odor Remover – This non-toxic, natural carpet cleaner contains an uplifting medley of essential oils, enzymes, and plant-based ingredients that will clean not only your carpets, but hard surfaces, too! Use it to remove tough stains, smoke odors, and more.
- Biokleen Carpet Shampoo – A natural carpet cleaner based on herbal extracts and enzymes. It’s 3x concentrated!
- Citra Solv Natural Cleaner – Concentrate with lavender-bergamot scent. It is good for adding to carpet cleaning machines. It is a perfect solution when you want to thoroughly clean your carpet and cut through grime, dirt, and oil! In addition, it is also great for upholstery.
- Simple Green Naturals Carpet Care – Biodegradable carpet cleaner that contains various plant-based ingredients and minerals. It works on fabrics and upholstery, too!
A growing number of different commercial eco-friendly carpet cleaning products are available on the market, as environmentally responsible alternatives. Your use of these cleaning products helps promote the growth of green companies, and also contribute to environmental sustainability. Keep this in mind when you wash your carpet!
Latest posts by Jack (see all)
- When would a mortgage provider require a tree survey report? - November 16, 2021
- Ecopreneurship: The Environmentalist’s Path to Owning a Business - July 29, 2021
- Can Plastic Be Eco-Friendly? - April 2, 2021