Today, most clothing for babies is made of cotton. However, if the cotton is not organic, it’s probably been sprayed with some dangerous chemicals. For example, the so-called pesticide “Aldicarb” is acutely poisonous to humankind, yet it is still used on cotton fields in the US and other 25 countries in the world. More than 25% of the world’s pesticides and 10% the insecticides are used in cotton production. Therefore, it is very important to keep your baby safe with 100% organic eco-friendly baby clothes!
- The Major Features and Most Famous Brands of Earth Friendly Shopping Bags
- Make your Environment Clean and Green Eco-Friendly Packaging Bags
- How can a Ground Source Heat Pump help Save Energy?
- Some Good Ideas For Handmade Green Gifts
- Different Environmentally Friendly Shoes: Hemp, Vegan and Recycled Footwear
Unfortunately, baby clothing is also made from various synthetic fibers, such as nylon and polyester. These synthetic fibers are made from petrochemicals that have negative environmental impacts. Moreover, nylon manufacturing creates nitrous oxide – a dangerous greenhouse gas. Rayon is another artificial fiber of concern. This fiber is made from wood pulp treated with different toxic chemicals (like sulfuric acid). Conventional baby clothing harms the environment, and also harms the workers who make it possible for your baby to wear these clothes.
In contrast, eco-friendly baby clothes are made from sustainable fibers, and they are the safest clothing for your baby and kids. Here is what to look for, when buying baby clothing:
- Organic cotton – It is grown without the use of fertilizers and other chemical pesticides. Be careful of cotton that is labeled as “untreated,” “natural,” “undyed,” or “green,” because these labels are not regulated.
- Industrial hemp – Fast-growing industrial hemp can produce three times more fabric than cotton. What’s more, it requires little to no herbicides or pesticides.
- Recycled polyester –This polyester is made from cast-off fabrics, recycled soda bottles, and worn-out garments.
- Bamboo eco-friendly baby clothes – Bamboo is a plant that grows easily and very quickly. However, many toxic chemicals can turn this plant into so-called “bamboo-based rayon”. Therefore, companies that use this process must label baby clothing “rayon made from bamboo,” not only “bamboo.” Also, you need to know that true bamboo fibers are not “silky smooth” as bamboo-based rayon.
- Wool baby clothing – Wool doesn’t require chemicals to grow, it is renewable, very elastic, and crimped. These fibers are obtained from sheep as well as some other animals, including cashmere and mohair from goats, angora from rabbits, qiviut from muskoxen, and other types of wool. Because of the crimp, woolen fabrics have a greater bulk in comparison with other textiles for clothing. Keep your baby safe in woolen clothes – one of the healthiest materials for clothing.
- Soy cashmere/ silk – This fabric is obtained of the soy protein fiber that left after processing soybeans into oil, milk or tofu. It is perfect material for eco-friendly baby clothes, but you need to look for clothing that is made from non-genetically engineered soy.
If you were shopping for baby clothing a few years ago, your choice was pretty limited to “beige onesies”, with a small percentage of organic cotton. Nowadays, eco-friendly baby clothes are much easier to find in shops. They are made from a wide array of different sustainable materials, and available in a variety of colors (various colorful prints). Your baby deserves to wear it!
Latest posts by Jack (see all)
- Are you really looking forward to Galaxy S9 or planning to get Galaxy S8? - April 12, 2017
- Make your Environment Clean and Green Eco-Friendly Packaging Bags - April 5, 2017
- Great scope in plastic business - March 8, 2017